‘No platform gets a free pass,’ says PM – as crackdown on social media announced | UK News


The government has announced a sweeping crackdown on tech firms to protect children from illegal content.

It will include measures to eliminate “vile illegal content created by AI”, and could even open the door to an Australia-style age limit on social media, a Number 10 spokesperson said.

It also promises to shut down the loophole that has allowed chatbots to produce illegal content.

On Sunday, Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer said “no platform gets a free pass” from the new restrictions.

Announcing the changes on Monday, Sir Keir said the “status quo is not good enough, we need to protect our children”.

He promised that at the end of a consultation into how tech firms can best safeguard children, “we can move really fast” as he criticised the Conservatives’ online safety act for taking eight years to come to fruition.

Keir Starmer insisted no platforms would be given a 'free pass' from the new measures
Image:
Keir Starmer insisted no platforms would be given a ‘free pass’ from the new measures

Under the plans, ministers will “shut a legal loophole and force all AI chatbot providers to abide by illegal content duties in the Online Safety Act”, according to a government announcement.

Introduced in 2023, the Online Safety Act imposes strict duties on social media platforms – particularly in protecting children from harmful content.

It would also introduce Jools’ Law, which requires social media companies to automatically preserve children’s data when they die, Ellen Roome, the mother of 14-year-old Jools Sweeney who died in 2022, has been campaigning for the change since his death.

She told Sky News: “This is about truth. This is about accountability. This is about holding social media companies accountable,”

“Because of Jools, and because of relentless campaigning, other families will now have access to answers.”

However, according to Ms Roome, “We must ultimately do more to stop children being harmed or dying in the first place.”

The government has also promised a consultation with tech firms to discuss how to best safeguard children.

A spokesperson said that means “being able to act quickly on measures like setting a minimum age limit for social media and restricting features like infinite scrolling that are harmful”.

In December last year Australia became the first country in the world to introduce a mandatory minimum age of 16 for accessing social media platforms.


Could Jools’ Law force social media change?

Sir Keir said: “As a dad of two teenagers, I know the challenges and the worries that parents face making sure their kids are safe online.

“Technology is moving really fast, and the law has got to keep up. With my government, Britain will be a leader, not a follower, when it comes to online safety.

“Today we are closing loopholes that put children at risk, and laying the groundwork for further action.

“We are acting to protect children’s wellbeing and help parents to navigate the minefield of social media.”

Technology Secretary Liz Kendall said: “I know that parents across the country want us to act urgently to keep their children safe online.

“That’s why I stood up to Grok and Elon Musk when they flouted British laws and British values.

“We will not wait to take the action families need, so we will tighten the rules on AI chatbots and we are laying the ground so we can act at pace on the results of the consultation on young people and social media.

“We are determined to give children the childhood they deserve and to prepare them for the future at a time of rapid technological change.”


Social media ban: Have we reached a tipping point?

Read more from Sky News:
Foreign secretary denies PM is ‘rattled’
Inside the UK’s van dwelling hotspots

Shadow education secretary Laura Trott dismissed the proposals as “more smoke and mirrors from a government that has chosen inaction when it comes to stopping under-16s accessing social media”.

Ms Trott said the evidence that social media content harms under-16s is “clear” and said they “should be prevented from accessing” it.

Britain, she said, “is lagging behind while other countries have recognised the risks and begun to act”.

Her view was echoed by Dr Becky Foljambe, founder of Health Professionals for Safer Screens, who said ministers should “stop talking and act, as every day they dither, more children are harmed”.



Source link