U.S. Secret Service agents and a Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office deputy shot and killed a man who entered the secure perimeter at Mar-a-Lago with “what appeared to be a shotgun and a fuel can,” Secret Service announced in a statement on Sunday.
The suspect’s identity has not been released yet “pending notification of next of kin,” the statement said.
“U.S. Secret Service agents and a PBSO deputy confronted the individual and shots were fired by law enforcement during the encounter,” the Secret Service statement said. “No U.S. Secret Service or PBSO personnel were injured.”
President Donald Trump was not at Mar-a-Lago during the incident. He delivered remarks Saturday evening at the White House Governors Dinner in Washington, D.C.
The White House didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.
“The incident, including the individual’s background, actions, potential motive, and the use of force, is under investigation by the FBI, the U.S. Secret Service, and the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office,” the statement said.
The Secret Service agents involved in the shooting will be on administrative leave “pending the outcome of the investigation,” which is routine agency police, the statement said.
Trump has previously faced two assassination attempts amid a rise in violence and threats against political figures in the U.S.
In 2024, Trump was shot at during a campaign rally in Butler, Pennsylvania. A bullet grazed his ear and one rally attendee was killed. Later that year, a man with a rifle was found hiding in shrubbery at Trump’s golf club. The suspect, Ryan Routh, was sentenced to life in prison after being found guilty of attempting to assassinate Trump.
This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.

